Ebay banner

Sunday 19 February 2012

A short walk in Winchester

A cold but pleasant day out at Winchester today. I went there to watch one of my sons play rugby, but as kick-off wasn't for an hour or so (which actually turned out to be 2.5 hours later) I decided to make the most of the beautiful weather and walk the short distance from the rugby club to the Cathedral and the old town beyond.

Winchester Cathedral
Gateway near Winchester Cathedral
I had explored the immediate area around the Cathedral before, but had never ventured much further beyond. As I made my way down Kingsgate Street, I passed some beautiful town houses, with people leaving them in their Sunday Best, probably on their way to church, or perhaps to venture to the shops which were about to open for Sunday trading. The birds, which no matter how much I looked I could not see, were singing away in the trees and bushes. It was a perfect day and I could have kept walking for hours. Unfortunately I was time-constrained so forced myself to turn around just before reaching the railway track. On looking at the map when I returned home, I was actually quite glad I did turn back at the point I did, as otherwise I would have ended up within earshot of the motorway.

I spotted a couple of nice looking pubs and deli's during the walk, so this has also been added to my ever increasing "to visit" list.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...