Ebay banner

Friday 15 February 2013

Urban Wandering: the Great Wall of Marylebone

Despite being somewhat disappointed today that after a clear blue morning, lunchtime was overcast, I decided to venture out regardless for a bit more urban exploration. My wanderings today took me across from Paddington towards the area adjacent to Marylebone station. Whilst of course Marylebone station looks rather grand from the front, what I've always liked about it is the perimeter wall to the east of the station, that flanks the rail lines as they head on up through West Hampstead, Buckinghamshire and further afield.

The eastern perimeter wall of Marylebone Station, Boston Place, London.
The eastern perimeter wall of Marylebone Station, Boston Place, London.
 
Ghost street sign, Boston Place, Marylebone, London.
Ghost street sign, Boston Place, Marylebone, London.

I wonder if these muse style houses in Boston Place opposite the great wall were perhaps railway worker's houses at one time.

Old houses in Boston Place, Marylebone, London.
Old houses in Boston Place, Marylebone, London.

Alleyway off Huntsworth Mews, Marylebone, London.

Still with a great thirst for my rekindled passion, I have now finished Merlin Coverley's Psychogeography. I won't say I found it an easy read, but it was full of information that I can see myself returning to as I get deeper into the subject. I've now moved on to my next psychogeography related books, and following some sound advice have decided to read them simultaneously as one requires a bit more concentration than the other. The first of the two books is Brendon Chase, by Denys Watkins-Pitchford, which is children's story written way back in 1944, and referenced in Edgelands which I have also recently finished reading. As you might imagine, written back in 1944 it's not particularly politically correct by today's standards, but so far it's been a great read and almost makes me wish that all the passive entertainment of games consoles, mobile phones and DVD's were not so readily available, and kids had to go out and explore more. My second book, the one requiring more concentration, is Lights Out for the Territory, by Iain Sinclair. I have only read the first few pages of this, and was tired at the time, so this is definitely one to read with my morning cup of tea, as opposed to my bed time cocoa.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...