Ebay banner

Sunday 17 November 2013

Urban Wandering: an early morning drift around Southwark, London SE1

Having seen that the forecast for the morning was crisp and clear, and given that my modest hotel room afforded a magnificent view over the Shard, I set my alarm for 6:40am to catch the sunrise. The photos I took from the hotel window are all a bit grainy through the combination of iPhone, dirty hotel room window and my unsteady hand, but I was still quite pleased with them.

Early morning view of the Shard, London
Early morning view of the Shard, London, SE1

Early morning view of the Shard, London
Early morning view of the Shard, London, SE1

I have wandered through some parts of Southwark before, but by no means all of it, so I headed off in a random direction and was soon rewarded with a raft of photo opportunities. This first sign made me chuckle, which is no mean feat at just after 7am. 

COMMIT NO NUISANCE

So I hurried on in case my camera shutter was too noisy for the neighbourhood.

Old sign in Southwark, London SE1
Old sign in Southwark, London SE1

This next sign looks quite new but there was no evidence of a tin-box maker anywhere in the vicinity so I assume this is just a well maintained, or maybe preserved sign.

G.WALLIN & Co. Ltd.
TIN-BOX MAKERS
GLOBE St. WORKS 

Old sign in Globe Street, Southwark, London SE1
Old sign in Globe Street, Southwark, London SE1

No ghost signs or old signs in this next picture, but a beautiful old building nevertheless, with its old windows and old lift arm still intact.
Old building, Cole Street, Southwark, London SE1
Old building, Cole Street, Southwark, London SE1

The final picture on this short by pleasant urban wander took me to Tabard Street where I came across this old building with no less than four distinct, but connected and related old signs.

HARDING & SONS
HARDWARE MERCHANTS
TIN PLATE WORKERS
JAPANNERS

Being new to the term Japanners a quick bit of internet research shows it to be the European imitation of Asian laquerwork.

Old sign in Tabard Street, Southwark, London SE1
Old sign in Tabard Street, Southwark, London SE1


2 comments:

  1. I like that Globe Street one, looks like it might have been repainted recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an ancestor who lived on Globe Street from about 1830-1845. He was a Hatter, William Holbrow, who shared the premises with a tailor, Thomas Gillard (also their respectivewives and one child).
    Thanks for giving me a view of their street, and one of the buildings which might have been there in their time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...