Ebay banner

Tuesday 16 April 2013

Urban Wandering: Paddington to Sloane Square

Well, as promised when I posted a teaser on twitter on Thursday before I went away for the weekend, here's the full write-up of my most recent urban wander, which this time took me south from Paddington, across Hyde Park,and then through a series of mews and back streets through parts of Kensington, Knightsbridge, and finally on to Sloane Square. I'd wandered through Ennismore Gardens Mews before, but from the opposite direction, and had not ventured further south, so was pleased to drift into some new places and take some photos.

Clock Tower of Russian Orthodox Church, Ennismore Gardens, London SW7
Clock Tower of Russian Orthodox Church, Ennismore Gardens, London SW7


Rutland Mews West, London SW7
Rutland Mews West, London SW7

Steps between Ennismore Street and Rutland Street, London SW7
Steps between Ennismore Street and Rutland Street, London SW7

Egerton Gardens Mews, London SW3
Egerton Gardens Mews, London SW3

An oddly named road as this is clearly not a crescent. The road does curve a little in the opposite direction but I would hardly call it a crescent. Unfortunately I was unable to take a decent photo the other way as the street was littered with smokers and mobile users spoiling my view.

Crescent Place, London SW3
Crescent Place, London SW3

With a bit of energy remaining before heading off to Sloane Square tube station which I'd just spotted, I veered off on a side street to complete a quick loop before heading back. To my great surprise I came across what was once an old London suburb called Hans Town, named after Sir Hans Sloane


Corner of D'Oyley Street and Cadogan Place, London SW1

At first this looked just like an ordinary bollard, but on closer inspection it revealed a name and a date - Hans Town 1819.

Bollard at corner of D'Oyley Street and Cadogan Place, London SW1
Bollard at corner of D'Oyley Street and Cadogan Place, London SW1 

And directly above the Hans Town bollard  was a plaque showing the house name and date, Jubilee House, October 26th 1800.

Jubilee House on corner of D'Oyley Street and Cadogan Place, London SW1
Jubilee House on corner of D'Oyley Street and Cadogan Place, London SW1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...