Ebay banner

Saturday 24 November 2018

An urban and rural wander around Oxford

I don't seem to have found time to blog over the past few months. My spare time has been taken up with bike rides, and over the wonderful summer it seemed criminal to lock myself away with the laptop instead of being outside enjoying the great outdoors. However, now that we seem to be firmly in the grip of late autumn, with dark evenings and drizzle, I can justify sitting at home over a hot keyboard and catch up with posting some of my psychogeographical outings from the past few months, as I drifted through town and country, sometimes with a plan in mind, other times just happy to wander. But where shall we go first? How about Oxford … and let's begin with a wonderful doorway mosaic.

Doorway mosaic, Oxford
Doorway mosaic, Turl Street, Oxford

I must confess I've never been punting, but it is on the "to do" list. It does however always bring up a slightly sinister image that I remember from either Inspector Morse or Lewis.

Punts on the River Cherwell, Oxford
Punts on the River Cherwell, Oxford

Wandering along the Cowley Road in Oxford is almost always a pleasure. Whether it's to rummage through the charity shops or crate dig in Truck Records, to have lunch in an independent café or to go to a gig at the O2 academy, there is always something new to catch the eye regardless of how many time I walk along it. This next photo is a perfect example of something I must have walked past tens of times but only noticed it on this visit. This old sign for R.A.NEVILLE, Dispensing Chemist is thankfully still preserved above what is now, I think, a restaurant.

Old sign for R.A.Neville, Dispensing Chemist, Cowley Road, Oxford
Old sign for R.A.Neville, Dispensing Chemist, Cowley Road, Oxford


As with most towns and cities these days, street art is everywhere. Some grabs the eye, others just looks like the scrawling of a madman. This one however did catch my eye, with its elephant on wheels and what looks like a jazz band.

Street art, Cowley Road, Oxford
Street art, just off the Cowley Road, Oxford

This next one was a real find. I had definitely noticed this before and really cannot remember why I had never stopped to look at it or photograph it before. It would seem that this cinema has a rich history and is still in use today. It originally opened in 1911 but closed towards the end of World War I, only re-opening in 1976 as the Penultimate Picture Palace after being used as a furniture depository in the intervening period. It closed again in 1994 when squatters moved in, renaming it to the Section 6 Cinema. In 1997 it re-opened as The Ultimate Picture Palace. For more information and pictures, have a look at The Ultimate Survivor about the history of the cinema

The Ultimate Picture Palace, Jeune Street, just off the Cowley Road, Oxford
The Ultimate Picture Palace, Jeune Street, just off the Cowley Road, Oxford

I've blogged about Oxford signage a few years ago now, but there are always more great finds. This is also a great little street with shops, cafés, bars and restaurants.

North Parade Avenue, Oxford
North Parade Avenue, Oxford

I thought that when I photographed this ghost sign a few years back, it was not quite so weathered as it is today, but on checking my previous blog post, it actually seems to be in better condition, with the drain pipe that used to run diagonally across the sign now diverted to run next to it. Good to see it's still there and not painted over or covered with a billboard as so many seem to be these days.

Ghost sign for Hovis Bread, Jericho, Oxford

Having aching feet from wandering the hard streets, we finished our day in a more serene setting, walking along part of the Oxford Canal, which reminded me of the Philip Pullman novels and Lyra's Oxford.

Oxford Canal, Oxford
Oxford Canal, Oxford

Oxford Canal, Oxford
Oxford Canal, Oxford



Hopefully this post will be the catalyst I need to return to blogging, but we'll have to see. Thanks for reading. Until next time ...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...