Ebay banner

Tuesday 30 January 2024

A short urban wander from Greenwich to New Cross, taking in some lost pubs and ghostsigns on the way

 I've become slightly obsessed with this part of South London of late, first and foremost because of the excellent record shop, Upsidedown Records, on Deptford High Street, but also because it's not an area I have explored that much before. After filling my boots with lots of vinyl goodness, initially at Music and Video Exchange in Greenwich, I left Greenwich and headed towards Deptford. Rather than taking the main road as I'd done previously, I walked through a narrow path next to St Alfege Church called St Alfege Passage, which brings you out on the corner of Roan Street and Churchfields.

The first point of interest I spotted was Number 16. It looks like it was a boutique hotel but I'm not sure it still is given the fact that the online reviews are all several years old. Interesting signage nevertheless with the old Nectar Tea sign on the wall.

Number 16, St Alfege Passage and Roan Street, Greenwich, South London

Number 16, St Alfege Passage and Roan Street, Greenwich, South London

Directly opposite Number 16 is a former pub, The Earl Grey, at 1 Churchfields. This old pub is now used as a private residence but still has the old pub sign, dated 1913, and the green tiling adorning the façade of the building. The buildings either side of the former pub look relatively new but I'm not sure whether the pub would have stood on its own, or whether the adjacent buildings have long since been demolished. 

Former pub, The Earl Grey, 1 Churchfields, Greenwich, South London SE10

Former pub, The Earl Grey, 1 Churchfields, Greenwich, South London SE10

Continuing on my journey to Deptford, I came across what is possibly still a school, with separate entrances for boys and girls, on Randall Place, complete with the original signage above the doorways.

Boys and Girls entrances for a school on Randall Place, Greenwich, South London SE10

Boys and Girls entrances for a school on Randall Place, Greenwich, South London SE10

One of the buildings which dominates this part of Greenwich, and has done so since 1897, is the Mumford's Greenwich Flour Mills. The building, which sits on Deptford Creek, is now in residential use but the original signage still remains.

Mumford's Greenwich Flour Mills, Deptford Creek and Greenwich High Road, South London SE22

Mumford's Greenwich Flour Mills, Deptford Creek and Greenwich High Road, South London SE22

Keeping on the old signage theme, although nowhere near as old as the mills sign, is what I assumed used to be some sort of internet café back in the days before everyone has internet connections at home. The building is in quite a sorry state of repair, with boarded up windows and a shuttered threshold.

Old sign for Internet Access, Greenwich High Road, South London

Old sign for Internet Access, Greenwich High Road, South London

From here I headed up the Deptford High Street to get my vinyl fix at Upsidedown records. I didn't take any pictures on that part of the walk as I've already covered that in my post An Urban Wander from Deptford to Greenwich, when I walked in the other direction.

After leaving Deptford I headed towards New Cross with the intention of hopping on the London Overground to take me north for some more exploring. En route I came across these two simply wonderful ghostsigns on opposite side of the New Cross Road. I'd seen the first one before but somehow completely managed to miss the second one previously, Anyway, here they are in all their glory. The first one is a massive ghostsign, for Brymay Safety Matches, taking up almost the entire side of a building.

Ghostsign for Brymay Safety Matches, New Cross Road and Alpha Road, South London

Ghostsign for Brymay Safety Matches, New Cross Road and Alpha Road, South London

I'm not sure how I managed to miss this one on previous visits as it's almost opposite the Brymay ghostsign, but anyway here it is, another wonderful example of a huge ghostsign, this time for Lipton's Tea, The Finest The World Produces, which is on the corner of Mornington Road and New Cross Road. I wonder what could have happened to the 'L'. The brickwork behind looks the same so that doesn't suggest any structural alterations. Maybe it was simply cleaned off?

Ghostsign for Lipton's Tea, Mornington Road and New Cross Road, South London

Ghostsign for Lipton's Tea, Mornington Road and New Cross Road, South London

And finally for this blogpost, not a ghostsign, but certainly an old sign, for The New Cross House, still operating under the same name as a pub.

Old sign for The New Cross House, New Cross Road, South London

Old sign for The New Cross House, New Cross Road, South London

As usual, many thanks for taking the time to read the post, I hope you've enjoyed it. Until next time ...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...