Ebay banner

Sunday 5 October 2014

An Urban Wander around Bristol (street art and industrial architecture)

I think the last time I was in Bristol was for a concert, Public Image Limited if I recall correctly. I don't think I've been to Bristol for years in the day time so had no idea what to expect. The drive down the M4 was awful, with rain lashing against the car almost all the way. However, pretty much as soon as we arrived the clouds parted, the sun came out, and we had a wonderful day. We were visiting on purposes other that urban wandering, but somehow I always seem to find time to sneak a bit of psychogeography into my agenda. Today's installment of pictures ranges from street art to industrial architecture, with a few others in between.

I think I have said before than I am not a fan of graffiti but I do like well placed street art. Here are but a few of the more interesting ones I found in Bristol.

Street art, Bristol
Street art, Bristol

This was my favourite. Apparently there was an even better one on the building next to this but unfortunately it had just been demolished.

Street art, Bristol
Street art, Bristol

Street art, Bristol
Street art, Bristol

And this one came in a very close second place.

Street art, Bristol
Street art, Bristol

As we drifted away from the city centre we gravitated towards the docks. Much has been re-devloped, quite tastefully I'm pleased to say, and I was especially pleased that some of the original industrial architecture remains.

Industrial architecture, Bristol Docks
Industrial architecture, Bristol Docks

Industrial architecture, Bristol Docks
Industrial architecture, Bristol Docks

One day we hope to own one of these ... alas today is not yet that day.

VW Campervan, Bristol Docks
VW Campervan, Bristol Docks

Industrial architecture, Bristol Docks
Industrial architecture, Bristol Docks


The pictures below do not do the scene justice but the brightly coloured houses across the river were quite an incredible sight.

Bristol Docks
Bristol Docks

Bristol Docks
Bristol Docks

Bristol Docks
Bristol Docks

A fluke of good timing, we headed back towards the city centre as the sun was beginning to set, making these monster-like cranes silhouette magnificently against the evening sky.

Cranes, Bristol Docks
Cranes, Bristol Docks

Cranes, Bristol Docks

Cranes, Bristol Docks
Cranes, Bristol Docks

    

Overall a wonderful day out, and one in which I definitely only scratched the surface of the city. I will be back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...