Ebay banner

Wednesday 21 May 2014

A return visit to Lymington and another coastal wander

For those of you who read my blog regularly, you may recall my first coastal wander around Lymington. With time on my hands last weekend, and the rest of the family occupied in other activities, I stole away for the day for a return visit. But before you read on, I first need to give an apology in that I seem to have managed to accidentally switched on a setting on my phone camera which made the pictures render in a strange colour. Fortunately my teenage son was on hand afterwards to fix the issue, but alas I cannot change the pictures below.

For this trip I parked just outside of the town and started my wander through a couple of streets I missed out last time. I was rewarded almost immediately with two ghost signs that I didn't find during my previous visit. First up we have

THE
BRITANNIA
COMMERCIAL
HOTEL

Ghost sign, Lymington, Hampshire
Ghost sign, Lymington, Hampshire

And almost opposite another one. Unfortunately I can't make out any of the words on this one, other than that perhaps the last word is

ALE

which would seem reasonable as this is a pub.

Ghost sign, Lymington, Hampshire
 Ghost sign, Lymington, Hampshire

This next ghost sign is a bit easier to read but does tail off towards the end.

STRONGS RO...

Ghost sign, Lymington, Hampshire
 Ghost sign, Lymington, Hampshire

And finally, no trip to Lymington would have been complete without a wander around the coast. I quite liked the remains of what I assume to be some kind of pier or jetty, with the Isle of Wight in the far distance.

Abandoned jetty, Lymington, Hampshire
Abandoned jetty, Lymington, Hampshire

Abandoned jetty, Lymington, Hampshire
Abandoned jetty, Lymington, Hampshire


1 comment:

  1. I lived in the Britannia Hotel as a child in the 70's. My Father ran the pub.
    The pub opposite was the Railway Commercial Hotel and was part of the Ringwood Ales brewery. You can just make out Ringwood Ales along the bottom of the sign.
    The other one is for Strongs of Romsey, the brewery that the Britannia belonged to for a while. I believe that's gone now too.
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...