Ebay banner

Sunday 30 March 2014

An Urban Wander from Shoreditch to Hackney (part 1 of 3, Shoreditch and Hoxton)

I've really been enjoying the lighter evenings and the weather over the past couple of weeks. Last week I was at a meeting in Shoreditch which gave me time to drift around one of my favourite London areas. I actually ended up wandering around more that just Shoreditch and made it all the way to Hackney, via Hoxton, which turned out to be quite a trek, with lots of photo opportunities, so this will be a two, or maybe even a three part posting.

First up we have the Shoreditch Tramshed which used to be the electricity generating station for the local trams and is now a trendy restaurant.

Tramshed, Shoreditch, London
Tramshed, Shoreditch, London

I'm always amazed by the ever changing landscape of London street art and particularly in and around the Shoreditch area.

Street art, Shoreditch, London

This next picture is of a ghost sign, featuring just the word GLASS. I have studied the picture but can see no other wording, but maybe the area below the first floor window once bore some lettering as the word seems a bit strange on its own.

Ghost sign in Shoreditch, London
Ghost sign in Shoreditch, London

Just further along the road was another ghost sign. Slightly harder to read but fairly sure it says KINGSLAND SHEET WORKS.

Ghost sign in Shoreditch, London
Ghost sign in Shoreditch, London

As my journey took me away from Shoreditch and into Hoxton, I found some more street art. The whole building was covered top to bottom, but this particular image stood out, Love Will Tear Us Apart.

Street art, Hoxton, London
Street art, Hoxton, Cremer Street, London

Street art, Hoxton, London
Street art, Hoxton, Cremer Street, London

And just behind the graffiti clad building was this fantastic old Citroen van.

Old Citroen van, Hoxton, London
Old Citroen van, Hoxton, London

Just before I headed under the railway arch that carries the London Overground northwards, I turned around and spotted this ghost sign for GORDON FABRICS on Cremer Street.

Ghost sign, Hoxton, London
Ghost sign, Cremer Street, Hoxton, London

And finally on this part of the wander, an old, abandoned pub on Geffrye Street, I presume, judging by the signage which reads FOSTERS LAGER and BEN TRUMAN EXPORT ALE.


Abandoned pub, Hoxton, London
Abandoned pub, Geffrye Street, Hoxton, London

Parts two and three of this urban wander will follow over the next few days and be linked here.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...