Ebay banner

Saturday 19 October 2013

An Urban Wander from Paddington to Hammersmith

With some time on my hands, and some reasonably favourable weather, I ended up walking between meetings rather than getting the tube. The pictures are commentary below are from my latest Urban Wander, which once more took me through some familiar territory, but with a new set of eyes.

The first picture is of a huge ghost sign just above Bayswater tube station. I cannot decipher the brand but I can make out the words

SAFETY
RAZORS
AND
BLADES

The manufacturer may be Gilette, or possibly Cleemak, but that's based on having seen previous shaving adverts and not from what I can (or can't) make out in this sign. There's also some italicised writing in the bottom left hand corner which reads

HE
NOW
?????
SHAVES

Ghost sign for Safety Razors and Blades, Bayswater, London
Ghost sign for Safety Razors and Blades, Bayswater, London

 This next ghost sign is in Notting Hill Gate. Being a music enthusiast, and one time devout record collector, I must have walked through Notting Hill Gate hundreds of times but only saw this ghost sign for the first time last week. It's slightly curious that the right hand third of the sign is missing. It doesn't look as though it's been painted over, and there's no suggestion that a building was once built right up against this one, thus overwriting the sign.

DUNDEE
MARMALADE
THE
FINEST
EVER

Ghost sign for Dundee Marmalade, Notting Hill Gate
Ghost sign for Dundee Marmalade, Notting Hill Gate

After having walked through what felt like prime ghost sign spotting territory, I ventured south along side Holland Park. No ghost signs here but still plenty of places of interest. Until I discovered ghost signs, one of my previous passions had been London Mews, and Holland Park Mews was one I'd never seen before. Whilst many other mews are hidden away and quite understated, this one was very grand, with it's own signed entrance.
Holland Park Mews, London
Holland Park Mews, London

Holland Park Mews, London
Holland Park Mews, London

The last picture from this Urban Wander is one I've been trying to get for a while now, but it's in quite an awkward place. The sign is actually on the back of a building along the London Overground line, just before Kensington Olympia station as you approach from the south. I had to stand up tall and hold the phone over my head to get this picture above the parapet of the bridge crossing the railway line. Apart from the first two letters possibly being "RE" the rest is a bit of a mystery.

Ghost sign near Kensington Olympia station, London
Ghost sign near Kensington Olympia station, London

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...