Ebay banner

Tuesday 13 August 2013

Urban Wandering from my sun lounger - the flaneur

I've been a bit quiet on the blogging front for the past couple of weeks, mainly from being on holiday where I decided to completely switch off not only from work, obviously, but also to take a break from some of my hobbies which seem to be taking up a huge amount of my spare time. So, I have no holiday snaps to share from the beach or the pool, no mysterious ghost signs discovered in the middle of Sardinia, and no abandoned buildings, but instead I have a fresher mind, a sun tan, and (unfortunately) a bit of extra weight. I did however start a new book on holiday, Edmund White - The Flaneur: A Stroll Through the Paradoxes of Paris. To be honest, I'm not normally very good or patient reading books about cities other than London, but this one had me captivated from the first few pages. The last time I was in Paris was probably nearly 20 years ago, and a long time before my own urban wanderings, drifts, derivees and flaneries, discovered through my recent excursion into Psychogeography.

I have the rest of this week off before I return to work next week. So far we've managed a couple of leisurely bike rides through the West Berkshire and North Hampshire countryside. Again, the pace of life has been slow, with just plenty of time to think, and the odd pub lunch. So, that's all folks, for now. I will probably be back to seeking out more curiosities to share next week.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...