Ebay banner

Sunday 28 July 2013

Urban Wandering around Barnes, London

With time on my hands after work one evening last week, I decided to head south, across the Hammersmith Bridge, with a vague notion that I'd end up somewhere interesting ... and I did, Barnes. I've been to Barnes a couple of times before, once during a drift along the Thames, and the other time a more deliberate visit to the Wetland Reserve. I was quite surprised therefore when I found that was more to Barnes than I first saw, in fact a lot more. I didn't take many pictures on this wander, but those below are some of my favourites.

This first picture is of a crumbling, embossed, stone sign on what was the former Metropolitan Police Station, now converted into residential properties.

Former Metrpolitan Police Station, Barnes, London
Former Metropolitan Police Station, Barnes, London

As I headed towards the Thames my thirst and hunger had reached a peak. I spotted this restaurant which had a spectacular first floor terrace-cum-veranda, running around the perimeter of the building. A great place for beer with a stunning view.

Time for a quick beer, overlooking the Thames at Barnes, London
Time for a quick beer, overlooking the Thames at Barnes, London

I didn't capture any rowers in this shot, so you'll have to take my word for it that the river was, at one point, swarming with them.
Rowing club across the Thames at Barnes, London
Rowing club across the Thames at Barnes, London

So, all in all, another beautiful London suburb to add to my list, and another definitely well worth another visit. I did look in the windows of a couple of estate agents on the walk back, but unless I win the lottery I don't think I'll be moving there any time soon.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...