Ebay banner

Saturday 11 May 2013

Urban Wandering: Clerkenwell, London EC1

Despite having wandered around London for many years now, it never ceases to amaze me that there are still so many parts of it that I've not seen. I'm not talking about the odd street here and there, but whole areas that my wanders have yet to take me to. This week it was Clerkenwell, which sits to the south east of King's Cross, more or less due south from the Angel. This walk however was more of a wander with a purpose as opposed to a drift, as I needed to get to an appointment. My route weaved a little bit as I found myself sucked into interesting looking side streets, parks, etc., but definitely plenty of scope for a return visit.

This first picture is of an old sign, not really sure if I can call it a ghost sign, with manicule, on Old Street, advertising the Finsbury Van & Wheel Works.

Ghost sign for Finsbury Van and Wheel Works, Old Street, London EC1
Ghost sign for Finsbury Van and Wheel Works, Old Street, London EC1

I didn't manage to get the name of this mews, and the maps I've looked at have not helped much, but I think it may be between St. John Street and Woodbridge Street.

A quiet mews, Clerkenwell, London EC1
A quiet mews, Clerkenwell, London EC1

I can never resist an angled building on a street corner, so was very pleased to find this one on the corner of Sekforde Street.

Sekforde Street, Clerkenwell, London EC1
Sekforde Street, Clerkenwell, London EC1

St. James Church sits just to the north of Clerkenwell Green, which bizarrely is not green at all. Beyond the church were a series of small, twisty roads but for some reason these pictures were all too dark so none to share I'm afraid.

St. James Church, Clerkenwell, London EC1
 St. James Church, Clerkenwell, London EC1

    

2 comments:

  1. I really like those angled buildings too, and that one is especially nice! I am hoping one time you'll post something random that I remember seeing while I was there. I like your mystery tours!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...